DUP Marker #1 - Erected 1934
"Settler's Park "
Located on 520 South, just 1/2 block west of Main Street in Settlers Park. This marks the site of the Tooele early settler's first camp.
IN HONOR OF
THE EARLY SETTLERS OF TOOELE COUNTY WHO MADE THEIR FIRST CAMP ON THIS SPOT OF GROUND SEPTEMBER 18, 1849
Judson and Sarah Tolman, child Nancy
Josiah and Henrietta Call, child Cyril
Samuel Mecham and sister Sarah Mecham
Cyrus & Alice Tolman and two children
Benjamin Tolman, Phineas Wright,
December 21, 1849
Orson Bravett and family
John & Eliza Rowberry and four children
They endured a difficult winter before spring arrived and they could begin to grow crops.
DUP Marker #54 -
"Old Tooele (South) Ward Church"
was located on the corner of Main and Vine Streets, now the plaque is on the "Bell Marker" which sits on the same location.
The "Old Tooele Ward Church" was "started in 1854 and finished in 1869 by the first pioneers who settled in Tooele City with Bishop John Rowberry in charge of construction. George Atkin, Superintendent of work, and Richard and William Kennington, Dave Adamson, John Pickett, James Hammond and Edward Broad, active in construction work. Rock used was taken from the mouth of Settlement Canyon. The building was dedicated by Daniel H. Wells on April 29, 1870. President Brigham Young, John Taylor, Orson Pratt and Wilford Woodruff were present. The building was remodeled in 1918, and demolished in 1968 to make room for a city park. The bell that was originally used in the church's steeple rests atop the monument. "
DUP Marker #84 -
"Pioneer City Hall"
Located at 39 East Vine Street in Tooele.
Erected in 1867 as a County Court House. Active in the construction were James Hammond, William Broad, Isaac Lee, W.C. Gollaher, John Gillespie, George Atkin, and John Gordon. The building was used for a Court House, City Hall and Amusement Center until 1941, when the new building was built, then it was turned over to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers for use as an amusement and meeting hall and later as a pioneer museum, which it is currently.
DUP Marker #103 -
"Adobe Rock "
Located eight miles north of Tooele on Highway 36, just north of Mills Junction (Highway 138).
"On July 27, 1847, three horsemen from the scouting party sent out by Brigham Young, obtained an excellent view of the surrounding valley from the top of this rock. In 1849, Captain Howard Stansbury of the United States Topographical Engineers, built a small adobe house by this rock for his herders. Hence, the name 'Adobe Rock'. The nearby highway follows the same route as the old pioneer trail used by explorers, trappers, emigrants and gold seekers. A spring nearby made this a favorite camp site."
DUP Marker #115 -
"Garfield and Lake Point Resorts"
Located on I-80, just south of junction with Highway 201 ( at rest stop on west side of road ).
"From 1881 to 1893, Garfield Beach was the most famous and finest recreation resort on the shores of Great Salt Lake; with its railroad station, lunch stand, restaurant, bath houses and pier leading to the dance pavilion and with the pioneer steamboat, 'City of Corinne', exhibited at anchor.
Lake Point was located 1.5 miles west. A three-story hotel erected there by Dr. Jeter Clinton became a stopping place for Overland Stages. The boulder used for this shaft was taken from 'Old Buffalo Ranch', one-half mile west."
DUP Marker #118 -
"Black Rock Resort "
Located on I-80, just south of junction with
"On July 27, 1847, an exploring party of pioneers bathed near historic Black Rock. In 1851, the first recorded 4th of July celebration was held here when 150 vehicles and 60 horsemen arrived from Salt Lake City. A huge home-made flag was unfurled. About 1860, a rock home was erected where guests were entertained. In 1880, Alonzo Hyde and David J. Taylor erected 100 bath houses, a bowery, board walk and other equipment. Steam boats sailing the lake were an attraction."
DUP Marker #331 -
"Tooele's First Cemetary"
Located at 725 South Main Street in Tooele.
Pioneers of Tooele and Rush Valley were buried here between 1850-1867. As no plots were sold, families were required to dig the grave and use the next burial space. Several bodies were moved to the new cemetery.
To our best knowledge these remained:
William B. Adams
John T. Baker
James Franklin Bevan
Annie Jane Burridge
Daniel Shaw Burridge
Mary Ann Charles
Hyrum S. Despain
Emma B. Green
Agnes M. Marshall
Marshall - 3 Babies
Thomas H. Maughan
James Nix, III
Harriet Whale Nix
Sarah Early Nix
Levius Crooks Pratt
Onthew Crooks Pratt
Martha Smith Sagers
Hannah Castle Salsbury
Samuel S. Stookey
Mary Emma Tuttle
Sarah Maria C Tuttle
Mary Agnes Utley
Harriet Cook Whale
DUP Marker #395 -
"Pioneer Log Cabin"
Located at 35 East Vine Street in Tooele,
next to "Pioneer City Hall", currently the Tooele County Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum.
"In 1855 this cabin, one of the first in Tooele, was started by Zachariah Edwards. It was finished for their home in 1856 by Andrew and Ann Gowans, and Hugh and Betsy Gowans, where they lived together for a few months. Henry and Georgina Dolling lived here in 1869. Several other families made it their home. It later sheltered a number of business projects. It was given to the Tooele County Daughters of Utah Pioneers by Barbara Gowans Bowen. Placed on present site in 1975; furnished with original homemade furniture."